Welcome to the wilderness. Hunting is a great chance to enjoy nature in a unique way. But you don’t need to be totally disconnected from modern civilization. As a matter of fact, you need to be properly equipped before embarking on your next hunting quest. This is why you need to pack the best hunting GPS.
This convenient device is your safety net. You will know exactly which spot to head to and the nature of the surrounding terrain. It is a must-have tool if you don’t want to get lost.
The best GPS devices on the market:
We decided to test and review some of the best products on the market. Now you can easily go through the product features to pick the one that matches your requirements.
Best Hunting GPS – Comparison
[table id=16 /]
12 Best Hunting GPS in 2020 Reviews
- This GPS features high sensitivity and comes with a high-quality antenna. It is one of the most accurate devices, especially when you are on the move.
- Don’t worry about trekking through thick tree covers. It will still work perfectly. This is one of the Best hunting GPS because it comes with more than 250,000 geocaches. It features a high-quality screen that is perfectly readable even in direct sunlight.
- With this GPS, you will receive smart notifications about your heartbeat and speed. It can operate on 2 AA batteries or one rechargeable battery pack that you can easily
- recharge while still in the device.
- The convenient screen works perfectly in bright and low light conditions.
- Convenient buttons that are perfect to use, even in cold weather.
- 8 GB of internal memory to install maps and updates. You can add extra storage.
- It can be paired with your mobile phone.
- Wireless connectivity with Bluetooth or ANT+
- Some users felt that the battery life is not long enough.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://amzn.to/3ejaGoP’ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ align=”]Check Latest Price[/thrive_link]
- This is a basic GPS that will help you pinpoint the location using longitude and latitude. The digital compass is actually pretty accurate and reliable. It will also help you determine speed, trip length, and temperature.
- In less than 2 minutes, you will be able to lock onto a satellite and then view your data on Google maps. The desktop app is very reliable and convenient to use since the device comes with a USB cable.
- You can save up to 5 waypoints and get back where you started. This is a hassle-free, accurate GPS gadget. The grayscale LCD is very easy to read at night.
- This GPS is weather resistant and will work perfectly in all conditions.
- A simple hassle-free GPS to help you pinpoint your location.
- A budget-friendly option.
- It helps you save your trip details.
- Saves up to 5 locations.
- Compatible with different operating systems. You can easily share your data via emails and social media.
- Water-resistant construction.
- Runs for 16 to 20 hours on three batteries.
- This device has no built-in memory and doesn’t accept data cards. This means that you can’t load maps. It is a simple GPS if you are on a tight budget.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://amzn.to/3ei0iO4′ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ align=”]Check Latest Price[/thrive_link]
- If you are looking for a durable product, then this is the one you should pick. This device features a high impact and water resistance. It is what you need if you want to get away with being extra careless. It is not a fancy device with a touchscreen and room for extra data. This is the best GPS for newbies and hunters who are on a tight budget.
- You don’t have to worry about connecting it to your computer thanks to its direct PC interface. It comes with reliable buttons for easy navigation and regularly updated maps for reliability.
- The screen is readable in bright sunlight and is also water-resistant for the best performance. It features easy yet comprehensive menus that are guaranteed to keep your back covered.
- A durable device that won’t cost a fortune.
- Impact and water-resistant.
- High sensitivity menu that is perfectly readable in different light conditions.
- Easy to navigate and connect to the PC.
- A detailed road network that features every detail.
- Convenient size.
- Power-saving features.
- Paperless geocaching to download and view more than 20 characteristics.
- Some users prefer a higher display quality.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://amzn.to/2wCIUTa’ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ align=”]Check Latest Price[/thrive_link]
- This GPS is what you need for fast positioning, as it can lock up to 18 satellites with no issues. It is pretty accurate to use even if you are indoors or under thick trees. This is a fast gadget that you can depend on. It will take 30 seconds or less for the acquisition of satellites. Its performance will not be affected by clouds or any other obstacle.
- This device features an excellent screen with easy navigation. You can pick the map, satellite, or the boot up screen by a simple press of a button. The bright display is convenient to use in various light conditions.
- This is a waterproof GPS. It is built to withstand the elements. It features paperless geocaching. This means that you can now easily download geocaches with no hassle.
- A convenient budget-friendly device that is far away from basic.
- Fast satellite acquisition.
- Excellent performance, even in the presence of obstacles.
- Easy navigation.
- Reliable display that works perfectly in the shade or in direct sunlight. Different display day and night settings to choose from.
- Features worldwide base map.
- Water-resistant construction.
- It can last up to 25 hours as it features power saving options.
- There is no room for a memory card.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://amzn.to/2yR7P6a’ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ align=”]Check Latest Price[/thrive_link]
- Don’t underestimate this small device; As a hunter, you don’t need extra heavy gear. A lot of hunters consider this to be the Best hunting GPS because you can wear it as a watch. You can check it in a glance while still carrying your gun and everything you need on your trip.
- This is a simple GPS with a black and white easy to read display. It works perfectly even with the presence of heavy tree cover and deep canyons, thanks to the HotFix. It will last for 17 continuous hours.
- This GPS will help you keep track of everything, including direction, tracks, waypoints, and routes. The trip computer provides detailed data about sunrise and sunset times. This tool even comes with a dependable calendar that will give you valuable insights on and off hunting and fishing seasons.
- A compact device that can be worn as a watch.
- A computer is compatible.
- High sensitivity GPS with great accuracy.
- Works well even with obstacles.
- A simple display with all the needed data.
- Enables you to retrace your trackback to where you started.
- Some users were not very happy about the battery life.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://amzn.to/2XCnLUf’ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ align=”]Check Latest Price[/thrive_link]
- This wonderful device features a 3 inches screen that is readable in different light conditions. It features multi-touch screen capabilities that are far more than what other GPS devices offer. The best thing about this hunting GPS is that you can easily control the touch screen with your gloves on. It is the best gadget to use in extreme weather conditions.
- This great GPS displays topographic maps that are very detailed. It also features a 3-axis compass, an accelerometer, and an altimeter. The ANT and Bluetooth allow you to share routes, geocaches, maps, and photos.
- You don’t have to pack a separate camera. This wonderful device comes with an 8-megapixel digital camera that takes high-quality photos. With 4 GB of storage, you will be able to save your photos to share them later. You can also insert a microSD card to increase the storage.
- High sensitivity GPS with fast fixes, even in the most challenging environments.
- A multi-touch screen that you can zoom in, pan out and rotate even while wearing your gloves.
- Adaptive touch screen brightness.
- 8 Megapixel autofocus camera.
- Accurate topographic maps.
- Extra 3-axis compass, accelerometer, and an altimeter.
- You can add a microSD card for extra data storage.
- Some people thought that this GPS device is not very easy to understand. You definitely need to read the manual carefully before you are able to utilize it fully.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://amzn.to/2V4DtWE’ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ align=”]Check Latest Price[/thrive_link]
You might think that you can do well with the navigation feature on your smartphone. This is the best GPS for hunting that will enlighten you about the importance of having a dependable navigation device.
- This GPS device is not just for hunting. You can bring it along while hiking or even fishing. This great hunting GPS comes with a high resolution 4 inches touch screen that is perfectly readable in bright sunlight and in the shade—the GPS in a durable, rugged case that is dust, dirt, humidity, and water-resistant.
- The best features three-axis compass and a barometric altimeter. It comes with preloaded maps that feature a lot of trails and tracks. You will have all the details you need to stay ready in wild terrain. You can either choose to display the maps in 2D or 3D on your computer screen.
- The Hotfix satellite feature eases satellite acquisition for maximum accuracy even under a thick cover of trees. This GPS gadget is very easy to manage as it enables you to record every detail of your route.
- As a bonus, it features an autofocus 8 Megapixel camera that automatically geotags photos. Your touch screen is very easy to use and navigate with 10,000 points and 200 saved tracks. This will give you more time to focus on hunting.
- A versatile GPS that will prove worthy whether you are hunting or hiking.
- Big screen with high resolution. The high-quality touch screen is readable in bright daylight and in the shade.
- Quickly locates your position and accurately maintains it.
- It comes with preloaded topographic maps and more than 10,000 saved points and 200 tracks.
- A sturdy case that will withstand dirt, dust, humidity, and water.
- An 8-megapixel camera.
- This product is rather expensive. But for the features included, it is worth the money.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://amzn.to/3b9ijvU’ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ align=”]Check Latest Price[/thrive_link]
Are you looking for the best hunting GPS under $200? Then look no further than the Garmin eTrex 20x. This versatile device is an upgraded version of eTrex 20, featuring an increased resolution and extended memory for holding maps.
Although there’s a built-in worldwide map, you can download maps, including HuntView and BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, for a better experience. You’ll love this device because it can locate your waypoint accurately with both GPS and GLONASS. Because it doesn’t exclude dense areas, it is one of the most reliable GPS you can ever find!
The unit is extremely lightweight, sturdy, and waterproof. Instead of a touchscreen, there are buttons in the unit that you can hit even with gloves on. Plus, the display itself is readable and dimmed enough for viewing in the sunlight. You can easily depend on this device because, unlike your phone, it won’t disappoint you with its battery life—gear up for hunting, hiking, or geocaching with one of the most accurate handheld GPS.
- Sturdy and waterproof
- 25-hours battery life
- Acquires location quickly
- MicroSD card slot lets you add more maps
- Supports GPX files for geocaching
- Requires some practice for beginners
- A preloaded map may not be useful.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://amzn.to/3fY96sV’ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ align=”]Check Latest Price[/thrive_link]
Here’s another Garmin GPS review if you’re looking for more exciting features. The Garmin inReach Explorer+ not only tracks your location but also helps you keep in touch with the outside world.
With the global Iridium satellite coverage, you can exchange text messages with a cellphone number or an email address. Also, you can share photos or any information about your journey with your family and friends. If you have loved ones at home worrying about you, they will be able to track your location live.
One big advantage of using this device is that it will save you from trouble while you’re on your journey. If you’re out there being injured, then you can get 24/7 emergency service with a tap of the SOS button.
Just like the previous GPS unit, this one allows you to download worldwide maps, including topographical ones. There’s also a built-in map, compass, barometric altimeter, and accelerometer should you need to use an all-in-one device.
Its battery life is impressive as well, lasting up to 100 hours. It is truly the best GPS device for those who love experiencing international adventures. Despite being on the pricey side, it won’t make you regret it after buying.
- Durable and waterproof
- 100 hours of battery life
- Two-way communication enabled
- SOS function for emergencies
- Allows tracking and location sharing
- Text messages may take a few minutes to go through.
- Batteries are not replaceable.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://amzn.to/3g4znpk’ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ align=”]Check Latest Price[/thrive_link]
The Garmin Oregon 650t is also one of the best hunting GPS units for outdoors. This touchscreen compatible device boasts of high-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS satellite tracking even in challenging environments. With this device, you can not only view maps but also interact with them by zooming and rotating. Plus, you can use the multi-touch capable screen with gloves on and see the display in bright sunlight.
What makes this unit stand out is its built-in camera with an LED flash that allows you to take high-quality pictures. You can also share the captured moments, which are automatically geotagged with your family and friends.
It merely eliminates the hassle of handling both this unit and an additional camera. Other than a camera, you can also find a built-in 3-axis compass, barometric altimeter, and accelerometer.
If you’re into serious hiking, then this is the right one for you. You can upload a variety of maps, including Trailhead Series, BlueChart, or City Navigator for turn-by-turn routing on roads.
Another exciting feature is that it stores unlimited data for geocaching. You can read hints, view cache photos, filter caches, and record all your logs. Considering the variety of its outstanding features, it is worth the price.
- 8MP autofocus camera ensures high-resolution photos
- Locks faster
- Stores unlimited geocaching data
- Sunlight-readable display
- Works in dense areas
- Poor battery life
- Software freezes sometimes
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://amzn.to/32X3lYP’ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ align=”]Check Latest Price[/thrive_link]
11. Garmin eTrex 30x
If you are looking for a cheaper option with full-fledged features, then the Garmin eTrex 30x is the right choice. It is one of the best hunting GPS under $200 and has additional features that eTrex 20x doesn’t have. It includes an electronic compass and a barometric altimeter to help you navigate better. You can use this unit for hunting, driving, biking, or other outdoor activities.
Like the eTrex 20x model, it comes with an expandable internal memory where you can upload different maps. Plus, the combination of WAAS-enabled GPS receiver and HotFix satellite prediction locates your position quickly, including dense areas.
You can also wirelessly share your waypoints, location, and geocaches with compatible devices whenever you need them. This unit can store all your geocaching information, including terrain and hints, without requiring them to jot down on paper.
What’s more, is that its water-resistant property will ensure you keep navigating while riding a bike on a rainy day. Besides, you can view the display clearly in the sun as it is sunlight readable.
- Shock and water-resistant
- Small and lightweight
- Locates position quickly
- 25 hours of battery life
- Works under heavy canopy
- A preloaded map may not be useful.
- Garmin maps are expensive.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://amzn.to/3g1LCTS’ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ align=”]Check Latest Price[/thrive_link]
Need a unit for hiking and driving? The Magellan eXplorist 310 is one of the best GPS for hiking and driving that you can find at a lower price. Unlike the previous units, this one uses high-sensitivity SiRFstarIII chip combined with WAAS, EGNOS, and MSAS, to deliver accurate location.
In addition to the preloaded worldwide map, you can upload more detailed topo maps for improved navigation. Like most GPS units, you can record all outdoor adventures for future reference.
What you’ll love about this unit is that it’s waterproof to IPX-7 standards. That means if you accidentally drop it in the water, it will withstand 1-meter depth for 30 minutes. The display is sunlight-readable, and the graphics are vibrant so that you won’t have any trouble viewing outside.
If you’re concerned with the battery life, then you have the option to switch to power-saving mode. While the suspend mode turns off everything, the GPS will keep tracking your waypoint.
When you’re lost in the woods, then this device will come in handy because it can retrace your steps. Overall, if you’d like to have minimal features, yet excellent navigation, then this is for you.
- Rugged and waterproof
- Conserves battery life
- Provides accurate navigation
- Stores location, geocaches, and other information
- Suitable for beginners
- Does not support microSD card
- The CPU may be a little slow.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://amzn.to/3g3d6sb’ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ align=”]Check Latest Price[/thrive_link]
The Garmin Oregon 600 is the best Garmin personal GPS you can ever find. Just like the 650t model, it comes with a touchscreen display that you can use with gloves on. Plus, it comes with a built-in compass, a barometric altimeter, and an accelerometer for enhanced navigation. While there’s a preloaded base map, you can upload other maps including City Navigator and TOPO U.S 24K maps.
Most Garmin units rely on WAAS/GLONASS-enabled GPS receiver with HotFix satellite prediction, and this one is no exception. The output is faster and accurate signal locking even under dense canopy.
When paired with other compatible Garmin devices, this unit can share your waypoints and geocaches 50 times faster. Not only that but you can also wirelessly share large files, such as photos and custom maps.
Apart from tracking, you might also want to use it for geocaching because it can hold up to 4 million caches. You can also read the description, filter caches, and view cache photos. Overall, this unit comes with all the features at an affordable price.
- Picks up signal quickly
- Sunlight-readable display
- Multi-touch capable screen
- Scrolls fast
- Batteries can charge through USB
- Not waterproof
- Poor battery life
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://amzn.to/3j93FIK’ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ align=”]Check Latest Price[/thrive_link]
Hunting GPS Buying Guide
What is hunting GPS?
Whether you are a newbie or an expert, a handheld GPS is an absolute necessity. It will help you navigate through wild terrains. Deer and elk are not actually going to wander around. You will have to go through some rough spots where the best GPS will be only your friend. If you want to keep safe your GPS, you have to need hunting backpacks.
Depending on your cell phone might not be the best option even your GPS is on. GPS devices are more sensitive and will keep your back covered. You won’t have to light up your flashlight to safely navigate. More discretion is definitely something you need while hunting.
How to choose the best hunting GPS?
There are a lot of options available to choose from. Paying attention to the features and details will help you pick up the best GPS for hunting. With a lot of products to choose from, you might get confused as a buyer. But don’t worry we’ve got your back. In this section, we highlight the main features that you should consider before deciding on the most appropriate product.
The main purpose of the GPS is to help you determine locations accurately. The GPS is connected to the satellites in the area to help you navigate through certain terrain. Pick a model that has a powerful antenna because it will have a better reception even under thick trees.
How easy it is used:
A complicated gadget is not what you need in the wilderness. You need to make sure that your handheld GPS is easy to handle when you are busy with other stuff. Pick a model that has an excellent button configuration and a widescreen.
Some models come with a touchscreen, which can be a big plus since it is easier to navigate. These might be faster to use and come with even more features.
The best GPS for hunters should be fast. You don’t really need a device that will take forever to start. A reliable product will search for the location fast, which is exactly what you need on a hunting trip.
The quality of the display screen:
The size of the screen is an important issue. A big widescreen can come in handy to help you see every detail. But if you are worried about the size of the GPS, then you should pick a smaller screen.
A backlit screen will improve your experience. The best hunting handheld GPS will be easy to use in bright sunlight and in the shade.
It is also very important to understand that even the best handheld GPS for hunting will still provide an image quality that is no way near a smartphone. Nevertheless, you should pick a decent resolution to be able to use your GPS successfully.
- Some GPS devices feature a slot for a microSD card. This will enable you to add more data. But if you are on a tight budget, you can get away with a basic model. This would still have the memory to store enough waypoints to keep you on the track.
- Some of the best GPS gadgets are water and shockproof. These are very durable and will not malfunction even if it starts to rain.
- Some GPS devices feature an altimeter. This could come in handy if you tend to do a lot of climbing, too.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why do I use hunting GPS?
A hunting GPS comes in handy whenever you’re on the trail for hiking or hunting. It lets you track your waypoints, save them so that you can go back home, and send messages to your loved ones. Some units also have an SOS feature that sends you professional help should you face any kind of trouble.
How long do hunting GPS batteries last?
Most GPS units use lithium-ion batteries, while others use NiMH batteries. Although more expensive, lithium batteries are rechargeable and have a low self-discharge rate in comparison to NiMH batteries.
The battery life of a GPS unit also depends on how often you use it. If you’re continually using tracking intervals, then the unit will drain the battery faster. If you use the device responsibly, with limited tracking and messaging, then it may last up to a week.
How do I upload maps to my Garmin hunting GPS?
The Garmin website offers a range of paid maps that you can use for your device. After purchasing a map, you need to connect the device to your pc, open Garmin Express software, select the device, and then install.
To find the best hunting GPS you will have to weigh your needs against the available options. Whether you want a fancy GPS that comes with everything you desire or a rather basic one, you will definitely find the perfect match. You will have a good chance to find what you need by going through these hunting GPS reviews.
Now all you need is to pick a suitable model and you will be good to go. If you need another gear like hunting boots visit for the best boost. Happy Hunting!